Archived in 2022

Originally posted on 16 Mar 2006

Much procrastinating later I’ve finally finished my next “trial” piece of wire crochet. As with all of the others, this one takes the form of a necklace.

Wire Crochet flower necklace I wanted to see what kinds of forms I could make with the wire. Flipping through a pattern book I found a flower motif which was simple enough that the shape would not be lost in the twisting of the wire. I made a plain one which worked out well, then I decided to snazz it up a bit with some beads I had lying around. Now what to do with it? Well, make another of course. And then? Join them together. Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s been an on-again/off-again project since some time in January, I believe. I haven’t felt like crocheting as much lately, which explains the delay.

Materials used:

  • 28 gauge silver-toned tarnish resistent craft wire from Bead Smith
  • ‘Perles de Verre’ seed beads from Blue Moon
  • Toggle clasp
  • Size 1 steel crochet hook

Wire crochet flower necklace close-up Here is a closer shot of one of the eleven flowers which make up the piece. The beads, though they were supposed to be within the middle of each stitch, in reality ended up floating to wherever they wished. At first this bugged me, then I ended up liking the randomness. Between that and the twisting of the wire it was, once again, a lot like organized chaos. You can’t really tell from the pics (photography is not my forte), but the beads are various dark pearlescent shades of blue, teal, green and violet. Honest, they look good against the wire.

This is another piece for which I have no real purpose. I may wear it soon, but if anyone would like to have it after that they are welcome to it. I already have another project in mind and—should I actually get around to designing and completing it—I already have a recipient in mind.