Not Enough Attention to Go Around
Archived in 2022
Originally posted on 30 Oct 2008
Time suck roll call! On a daily basis I…
- Keep fairly constant tabs on four different email accounts.
- Keep fairly constant tabs on four different IM accounts.
- Check in once a day or so at Facebook to see what mischief my far-flung and much beloved friends have gotten up to.
- Follow 83 feeds (with more being added with regular frequency) in my Google Reader. The number of articles which come through on a daily basis averages over 400. ‘Skimming’ is the order of business here and typically occurs during lunch and dinner.
- Have a bustling social life.
- Try (often fail, but I keep trying) to spend at least an hour at the gym most days a week.
- Get seven to eight hours of sleep a night. Period. Dot. End.
- And let’s not forget, have a fulltime (overtime if you ask some, so don’t ask them as they’ll just poison your mind) job.
And yet I still somehow find myself wondering where all the moments go during a week. This list doesn’t even include the things I try to do but often neglect (even more often than the gym), like reading real books or cleaning the house.
Does anyone think that there’s too much going on in that list? Anyone? Yeah, me too. There might be some pruning, consolidation and prioritization happening real soon now.
Just as soon as I find the time to do it.